RSSCommunity

Salmon Annie’s – An Invigorating Healthy Choice

| July 2, 2015 | 1 Comment

by Jenny Chissus

salmon annies logoAnnie Ridgely, along with her husband Paul and their three little ones, Joy, Obi and Azariah have opened a new hang out on the slough called “Salmon Annie’s”!  It is so much more than a fishing charter office – she offers fresh squeezed fruit juices, smoothies, “green” shakes, wheat grass shots, fishing pole and paddle board rentals, hiking tours, yoga, music nite, massage and the main stay of her operation – Salmon Charter Fishing with set nets in Seldovia Bay!

Anniewheat grassRight north of the bridge, located along the slough, the shop is open from Monday through Friday 10:00 to 5:00 Saturdays 9:00am to 6:00pm, closed on Sundays,  from Memorial Day to Labor Day!  The opportunity to fish with the guided trips will be available into August, but will definitely slow down as summer draws to a close. 

Annie has been fishing since 2001, and in Seldovia Bay since 2006 at her set net sites.  Her family loves to spend the summers in Seldovia, and Salmon Annie’s is the result of looking for more ways to bring in income so that Paul can stay in Seldovia all summer!   Annie also wanted to find a way to spend more time out on the water!   Paul is the land lubber and Annie is the water baby, so with the help of a nanny and shop helper, Annie is able to get out to fish almost every day!    Paul will stay with the family in Seldovia for the summer until the fishing slows down and then he’ll have to return to his plumbing profession in Homer while Annie finishes up the season.

I asked Annie what it was like, to book a fishing charter with Salmon Annie’s!  “This is a different fishery all together.  It is not at all like fishing with a pole.  When we fish, we catch LOTS of fish, lots of species, so it is really exciting!  Customers who have trolled, or fished Kenai with a pole or gone halibut fishing are commenting that this is a very exciting, action packed fishing experience.  It is also the historic and traditional way that the natives have fished in Alaska, so folks are intrigued to get a glimpse into that style of fishing!  The customers also get the bragging rights to say that they have “Commercial Salmon Fished” in Alaska!”  As part of the guided tour package for $125 per person, the customer gets to take home a gift fish (one salmon that Annie will filet up for them), and she will provide a lunch for them in between the fishing outings.  Annie also has an agreement with the restaurant Captain Patties over in Homer on the Spit so that customers can bring in their fish and Captain Patties will cook it for them in the restaurant!

Annie SkiffMany of Annie’s customers are coming over on the tour boats around noon.  First, they come in and purchase their 30 day commercial fishing licenses. Then, they will go through and get set up with all the necessary gear.  (Customers can come as they are, as she’ll provide all the rain gear, boots, etc. to make the adventure comfortable and warm!)  They come back from the first run and have lunch, coffee or tea, and then they’ll go back out to pick the nets again!   The last part of the tour is filleting up the fish, and then Annie will send them on their way.   She has three nets out in the bay, so depending on how many fish are in each net, it may be just one, really heavy run, or it may be two runs to empty and reset the nets.

AnniePaulBoatKiddosIn June, the nets are full of King Salmon, then the Reds come in very heavy in July.  The Chums and Pinks will come in July and August and then the Silvers will follow!  So, in July, a customer could go out fishing and pull every species of salmon from the nets – so that is a super unique and exciting experience for them!  This is a great educational experience for these customers.   In lower Cook Inlet, the nets are always wet – which means they are always fishing!   Annie explained that they actually fish all daylight hours, 4am to midnight!  Because this is a family operation, they are coming and going from the nets all day long, back for coffee and warm up breaks – but it is a full-time job!   Wednesdays and Saturdays at 6pm, they pull the nets, mend and clean them, then they will go back in the water on Thursdays and Sundays at 6pm, but the family takes Sundays off.  Now that the regulations restrict halibut fishing on Thursdays, all Salmon Annie’s Thursdays are booked!     It is great to have this option for fishermen who are here on a Thursday!   So, call ahead to book your trip before they fill up for the summer.

Every day (except Sundays) they have an easy Otterbahn trail hike from 1:30 to 3:15, that explains the history of Seldovia.  This is another great option for folks coming to Seldovia for the day on the tour boats!

They also have fishing poles for rent at $10 a day – and they keep them in great working order (there are kids poles too) clean and ready to go!

Annies RentalsI also noticed that they have stand up paddle boards.  The type that Annie decided to carry are called Bounce Boards, and they are plastic – durable and light!  They are also nice and wide so they are very stable, and for those who request it, Annie has life jackets available as well.  Paddle Boards are super easy to learn how to use, and Annie and her crew will do a quick safety briefing, and folks can get on their way!   This sport will offer an amazing core workout as you’re focused on balancing every second!   Annie offered:  “I can do a head stand on these boards  – they’re so stable!”

You can also purchase fresh salmon, you need to get your name on the list, and on Wednesdays and Saturdays Annie will call you when they’re down on the dock to pick up your whole salmon while they’re cleaning and mending their gear!   Salmon Annie’s has a catcher/seller tag, so they can sell fish whole off the dock.  They can’t process them, however they do have some frozen filleted red salmon available for purchase, packaged from Smart Source Seafood from Homer.

Annies PotteryAs I looked around the shop, there was a lot of local nautical artwork for sale.  Annie wanted to create a nautical/ocean/commercial fishing theme, and most of the artists are from Homer.  There is pottery, paintings, jewelry, music and clothing available from Alaskan artists!  This is a great stop to find a gift for yourself or a friend!

Annies MenuFresh raw juices are available here at Annie’s!  Get your day’s nutrients in a glass!   Fun nautical names like Mermaid Tail (Banana, Mango, Kale, and Coconut milk) or the Trade Winds (pineapple, mango, strawberries, banana and coconut milk) are hard to resist!   It is often hard to eat well when traveling, and Annie thought folks traveling would be excited to get a boost of raw energy!  It is also a welcome treat for locals, as many folks don’t have access to all the fresh fruits and veggies required to make these drinks/smoothies!  For a Fresh Juice drink after a long night fishing, you may want to try the Drunken Sailor Remedy (cucumber, carrot, lemon, dandelion greens)!

Salmon AnniesThere are plenty of espresso and coffee spots in Seldovia, so Annie chose to focus on healthy and different fare!  She does have french press coffee and quite a selection of teas, like local blueberry tea for the tea/coffee connoisseurs!   Another fun activity at Salmon Annie’s is their special bicycle powered blender, so customers are able to blend their own smoothie!

For locals – on Wednesdays Annie generously offers 30% off!  She also has a beverage card, so folks can purchase a card and not be concerned with having cash on hand!  Gift certificates, punch cards are great gifts for your friends, and for anyone who rents a paddle board, goes fishing, or participates in a hike, they offer a coupon for 15% off a beverage!

Besides great art, jewelry, juice, paddle boards, hiking tours, fishing charters and smoothies, Annie will also have yoga on the deck – multiple times a week with different instructors!

ErikWhile I was there, I had the opportunity to get a sample shoulder massage with Erik who is the owner of Wilderness Wellness and Reflexology, who is providing chair massages on the deck for $1 a minute – what a deal!   Based out of Homer, he and his family have a summer home in Seldovia and therefore is able to provide this great service to our community.    Erik will be available on Tuesdays almost every week at Salmon Annie’s, and is also available to schedule a table massage, and you can connect with him directly at 299-0449.  Erik also offers gift certificates, and will take cash, checks and also credit cards!

Salmon AnniesA trip down the enchanting pathway to Salmon Annie’s means you are in for a real treat: great boost of energy, healthy food, stimulating activities, educational experiences as well as invigorating massage, yoga or a turn on the smoothie bike!    The best part of all is being able to interact with the owner, Annie, who besides being absolutely charming and beautiful, she is an authentic Alaskan girl who’s excited and willing to share a fantastic Seldovia experience with you!  Give a call at 907.399.2105, or stop by and see Annie today!

Fine Arts Camp July 13-17

| July 2, 2015 | 0 Comments

by Lisa Stanish – SOCC

FineArtsCamp2015

Peninsula Pride

| July 1, 2015 | 0 Comments

by Aurora Kleinschmidt

IMG_1057 resizeGirl Power Rules!

What do you get when mix 15 teenage girls, a Church camping trip, and a hot, muggy day?  Girl power is what you get, and a lot of it!

It was supposed to rain all day on June 4 in Seldovia, Alaska, when 15 girls began the long trek from their campsite to the road where they would be caravanned to the Seldovia Police Department.  They estimated they had to climb approximately 200 steps to reach the top of the hill that bordered their campsite.  Accompanied by their five adult chaperones, they “groaned” their way to the top, stopping several times to rest.  The cars waiting for them at the top gave them a brief respite before they began the very serious work of serving the community, something the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints repeatedly stresses to their congregations.  “The camp’s purpose is to teach the girls to serve others, to serve in their community and to do hard things, to overcome adversity, and build unity,” stated Shelley Davis, Camp Director for the Kalifornsky Beach Ward Young Women’s Camp.  “We knew this project would be a struggle and a great way for the girls to give back to the Seldovia community.”

11336898_1495824917374259_7062093729019623727_oThe project assigned to the members of the Young Women’s Camp was to clear the immediate area surrounding the SPD building of weeds and rocks.  “When we were assigned this project, we knew that digging those rocks out would definitely be hard on the girls.  The weeds we tackled that day had been there for years, growing up through those rocks and gravel.  These dandelions had roots that were ten inches long and two inches in diameter.  They were not easy to remove.  Using shovels and rakes, we dug through the gravel to reach the roots and remove them.  First, though, we had to remove the larger rocks and move them to the wharf.  It was tough, but the girls never faltered.”

Suzie Stranik, the Chairman of the Beautification Program for the Seldovia Chamber of Commerce assigned this chore to the LDS camp members after Davis requested a project for the girls to “give back”.  “Those girls were just amazing.  They cleared that whole area in two hours and I had projected that it would take at least four.  They were respectful and extremely hard workers.  They appeared to be of one mind as they worked.  They made it fun for themselves.  I loved the singing.”

IMG_1054 resizeMandarin Wilcox, Youth Camp Leader, agrees.  “I was really amazed not only by the girls’ willingness to help, but by everybody’s positive attitude while helping.  It was really impressive when we started digging in those rocks and everybody started singing together.  We sang some silly songs, but also ‘Put Your Shoulder To The Wheel’, which was completely appropriate.  The singing was spontaneous, but so much fun.”

Stranik says that she chose this particular project as a surprise for Seldovia’s new Chief of Police, Hal Henning.  Henning was sworn in only the week before the girls started their project of clearing the area that is at the entrance to Henning’s new office.  “This was a huge job and I had no idea how we were going to get it done before Shelley called me.  We were very grateful for her offer.  This is a great way to welcome Chief Henning.”  Stranik says that now that the area is clear, the city will plant shrubbery and flowers that are pleasing to the eye and reflect the true beauty of Seldovia.
“We are so thankful to the City (especially Tyler) who excavated out the rocky fill and a special shout out to Jim Hopkins for donating the topsoil for this big project!”   Thanks,  Suzie “It was a pleasure to work with such great kids and absolutely amazing to see the transformation as they worked,” she concluded.

ChiefChief Henning echoed Stranik’s praise and gratitude.  “It was fantastic that the girls came out and did this. I can’t tell you how much we appreciate the fact they gave their time and energy to help us out and did such a great job. We are in the process of finding monies to complete the area they cleaned up with new top soil, grass and planter boxes.”

Each of the girls involved enjoyed being able to give back to the community.  “What impacted me the most was being able to help the people in Seldovia,” said Elizabeth Davis, Youth Camp Leader.  “People would stop by and ask what we were doing and they would immediately tell us how grateful they were.  They seemed to appreciate our efforts so much.  I liked that a lot.”  Her mom agrees.  “I have always loved Seldovia and this made me feel like I was a part of that great community,’’ Shelley Davis added.  “What I appreciated about the girls was their willingness to do this – rain or shine.”

“The whole week we had been talking about service and increasing love for others, so it was really neat to take what we were learning and actually put that into action,” says Wilcox.

“I liked it because everyone there joined in to help.  We all worked together to achieve this.  That was my favorite part,” Madeline Kleinschmidt, Youth Camp Leader, summarized for the youth group.

Craig Wilcox, Bishop of the Kalifornsky Beach Ward, also applauded the girls’ efforts.  “I am humbled to know that young women in their teenage years are so willing to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ to ‘serve one another’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself’.  In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, we know that when you are in the service of your fellow men, you are only in the service of your God and that, through Service, the lives of many are blessed. We thank the citizens of Seldovia for providing our girls the opportunity to provide Service and we hope that the city is a little more beautiful as a result.”

Gift of Life, Gift of Love

| June 22, 2015 | 0 Comments

by Jenny Chissus

Ronene

UPDATE:  June 24, 9:10pm.  Received word from the Hoards that Sarah is out of the hospital and resting at her hotel!  Ronene is scheduled to be released from the hospital tomorrow if she has a good night!  Both ladies are doing very well!

UPDATE:  June 23, noon.  Just got off the phone with Melanie Hoard, who said that Ronene is doing so well, she may even be released from the hospital early!  Wow!  Incredible news!  Sarah is doing well also, but she’s dealing with a lot of pain today.  Doctors say that this will be the most painful day of recovery for her – so here’s praying that is true and that her young and healthy body will heal quickly!  Melanie also gave me a direct mailing address for Ronene at her sisters, should anyone want to send a card her way.  You may still send cards to Melanie for both ladies as written below!

Ronene Gain
c/o  Ilene Hoffman
1461 9th Place NE
Shoreline, WA  98155

UPDATE: June 22, 7:30pm.   Got a message from Amanda Ginter (Gain) that her mom, Ronene is resting comfortably and her new kidney is working great!  Sarah is doing well too!    I’ll keep posting any updates as they become available!  Thanks for all the prayers!

This story actually began many years ago, but today, we are seeking your prayers, well wishes and thoughts for our neighbor, Ronene Gain, who has been on dialysis at home for the past two years.  She has been fortunate, in that so far, she could manage the treatments at home, as it would be near to impossible to go in for treatments 3-4 times a week while continuing to live in Seldovia.

To give you a bit of the history, I wanted to take a moment to visit with Ronene before she made the trip to Seattle for a new kidney.  She was gracious enough to sit with me on the curb by my flower garden the night before her departure!

This treatment has worked pretty well for her, though the first year was tough.  She has a routine now, as she has to plan to be quiet and still for 8 hours, as she has to be on the machine for the full cycle.  Ronene has been doing the nocturnal home hemodialysis, which replaces the work of her kidneys to clear wastes and extra fluid from the blood, this filter, called a dialyzer does the work while she sleeps.   Her blood travels through plastic tubing to the dialyzer, where it is cleaned and then returned to her body over an 8 hour period.  She doesn’t get great sleep, but she has found a way to rest during the treatments.  While visiting with her, as tough as it has been, she is so grateful for this treatment, and her ability to take care of herself at home.

I asked her how she knew she needed dialysis, and she responded:  “Believe me, I didn’t realize how sick I was until I got on the machine!   I’d been testing monthly, since I’ve had signs of it since I was 14.”   Ronene’s mother and uncle had received transplants that were rejected, and they both passed away due to kidney failure.   So, when Ronene was just 12 years old, she lost her mom to this terrible hereditary disease.  “Our family was a bit of a guinea pig, as the medical world didn’t think of kidney disease as a hereditary disease, but we do actually have a type that is.  We were actually blessed, because with our type of kidney disease, I should have died in my 20’s, and I’m still here!  The doctor tells me that my dad must have had some really good dominant genes to combat the kidney disease trait!   At the beginning, I was just very very sick, and though initially the progression of the disease was slow, as the kidneys worked harder and harder, it got worse very quickly!  I’ve gone in step, as my older sister Irene received her transplant in August of 2013 and in September of 2013 I went on dialysis.  Now it is two years later, and I am getting a new kidney!   Fortunately, after the transplant, Irene has been able to live a normal life, eat normally, and it has been a great recovery for her.”

Dialysis is not a cure, and Ronene has been on the list for a kidney for a few years now as that is truly the next step for her.  She has even been on her way to Anchorage for a transplant, when the potential donor (whom doctors thought was not going to survive) had a miraculous recovery.  Obviously, she was happy that the individual survived, yet terribly disappointed that a new kidney was not coming her way.

Even with a new kidney, it is a bumpy road ahead.  Anyone who has received a transplanted organ must, for the rest of their lives, take immunosuppressant drugs so that the body doesn’t reject the foreign organ.  There have been cases where the body rejected it even up to 5 years after the surgery.  Taking these kinds of medicines, you are very susceptible to disease, so you have to be careful not to be around sick folks and take subscribed vaccines against illnesses, etc.  Though the body could be functioning well with the new kidney, one must always take extra precautions to stay well!    “I have a plus, because my donor is a live donor, though my sister’s was not.  A live donor’s organ has a much better chance of being accepted and being a successful transplant.  You also have a higher life expectancy with a live donor!”

SarahAmandaCameren

Sarah O’Leary, Amanda Gain and Cameren Blodgett – 2012 graduates of SBE!

This is where the story gets even more amazing!

Ronene’s new kidney was going to come from closer to home.  A fellow Seldovian, and her daughter Amanda’s best friend, Sarah O’Leary wanted to help!  Ronene smiled to explain: “Sarah actually talked to me right after she graduated.  But I told her that she’s really young, she wants to go to school, she looks forward to having babies someday and that I loved her dearly for even thinking of doing this for me, but I didn’t pursue anything with her.  She actually did it all on her own.  She went and got tested and found out that she was a perfect donor for me, and she didn’t tell me until it was all done!  She called me up one day and said “Don’t get mad at me, but I am a perfect match, are you interested?  I’m really excited!”  All I could say was “Oh Sarah!”

Sarah assured her that she had prayed about it a lot, talked with her family and felt that every door had opened up for her and that this is what she was being led to do.  “Just be excited Ronene!”  So Ronene said, “OK, let’s do it!”   “I love Sarah dearly, I love her like a daughter, she’s been through everything with our family growing up here over the last 15 years, we even share the same birthday!  She’s done all of her homework, asked all the questions, and she really feels at peace with all of it, and I don’t think I should take this away from her.  I’m so thankful for Sarah and her family that they would all be willing to do this for me.  Due to the fact that this is a hereditary situation I couldn’t ask my siblings or my kids to help me.”

Today, June 22nd, Ronene and Sarah are at Swedish Hospital in Seattle, which has a great reputation for kidney care.   As of the time of publishing this article Sarah’s kidney has been removed successfully!  I don’t yet have an update on Ronene’s status, but everything is going as scheduled.   Ronene should be out of the hospital in 5 days, and Sarah should be out in three days.  Ronene is thankful to have family in the Seattle area, and will be staying with her other sister Ilene, for 6 or more weeks to recover and have continued monitoring.  “It is all in God’s hands.”  Ronene laughed as she explained that her husband Keith keeps saying,  “Just think of the positive, keep moving, you got to keep going!”  Her daughter and both sisters will be in the area as a support for her during recovery.

They say if the body accepts the kidney,  in a month, she will feel like a whole new person!  She explained that when she settled into the dialysis routine, she felt such an incredible improvement, she expects that this will be similar -but even better!

“It is pretty surprising that Sarah is a perfect match.   I have the rarest blood form, O negative, which can donate to all others, but only can accept O negative blood!”  It is amazing how many people have come up to me telling me about their dad, co-worker or relative that has kidney disease.  Its crazy just how prevalent it is!   I just never knew!”

Letter to RoneneAs I sat with Ronene, this vibrant, talented, generous and faith-filled person,  it occurred to me how everyone has their own life challenges, and we rarely know what others are dealing with, until we are confronting it ourselves, and talking about it!  People tend to step out of their comfort zone to the aid of others, to offer support, encouragement or a story of their own to aid in the recovery.

Ronene wanted to make sure folks knew how much she appreciated the local support, prayers and good wishes she’s received from everyone.  Thanks to Kirby and the band Billy Goat, who passed a hat at their last concert at the Linwood and raised some funds to help her with the medical costs.  She was humbled and thankful for everyone’s generosity.  Once Ronene went on dialysis, she qualified for Medicare, so the majority of both her and Sarah’s medical expenses are covered, which has relieved a lot of financial pressure moving forward.  She also wanted to thank her medical team, both in Anchorage and Seattle who have walked through the whole process and helped make the many steps manageable.

SarahLetterToday is just the beginning of the process to recovery for Ronene, she has a long road ahead and would be so thankful for your continued prayers for her, and for Sarah, that there won’t be any complications in surgeries and that they both will experience a speedy recovery!

If you would like to send a card to either Sarah or Ronene, you can mail them directly to: Sarah O’Leary or Ronene Gain c/o Melanie Hoard at PO Box 256, Seldovia, AK. 99663 – and she will be sure to get the letters to the right places.  Melanie is actually going to be traveling to Anchorage to see Sarah and the O’Leary’s around the 2nd of July, so she’ll be able to personally deliver any cards she has received by that time to Sarah.

Our best goes out to both families!

Summer Solstice Festival Information

| June 19, 2015 | 0 Comments

FestivalFlier

LiveSolsticePerformances

Solstice Schedule Part 1

SummerSolsticeWeekendActivities

EnPleinAir

Friday Concerts About Town

| June 19, 2015 | 0 Comments

LiveSolsticePerformances