School – Susan B. English
Susan B. English School
365 Winifred Avenue
PO Box 171
Seldovia, Alaska 99663
Susan B English School was built in 1971, and the first classes were held on August 30, 1972! This year, 2012, marks our school’s 40th Anniversary! We had a great anniversary celebration, and even received a letter from Alaska’s Governor, Sean Parnell! Click image to the left to view the letter in its entirety.
Named after Susan B. English, Seldovia’s Postmistress from 1925 to 1968 and town librarian. The Susan B. English School is not the first school in Seldovia; however, some local residents still refer to it as “the new school.” The first official school (long ago) was held in the Russian Orthodox Church.
We have an amazing school for such a small community off the road system! Our school facilities include 9 classrooms, administrative offices, large school commons, teacher’s lounge, nurse’s office, cafeteria (ottertorium), computer lab, library, gymnasium, music room, weight lifting loft and swimming pool with two pool offices. The grounds have a tennis court, playground area with swings and slides, spacious shop building with a classroom and pottery workshop, and a large fenced-in ball field.